I returned Friday evening from my week long trip elk hunting here in Idaho. There were six of us there, all fathers and sons. It really was the experience of a lifetime. We left Friday morning and packed in with all the horses and the mules. We were looking through binoculars on the night before opening day when I looked to my right and had a 5X5 looking at us from 15 yards away. He ran off to 40 yards and just watched us. We could have stuck him had it been in season, but that's the way it goes. Opening morning was very exciting, I passed up shooting a 2 point buck, had a chipmunk come and jump on me and run up my leg while I was sitting quietly, and I shot a 3X3 bull, but after a couple hours of tracking and praying my dad and I couldn't find it! My dad had also shot a cow that morning and it too evaded us. After such a successful morning I though this bow-hunting-elk thing wasn't going to be too hard. We woke up to snow on Monday and Wednesday morning. I was thankful I had prepared for cold weather, it would have been miserable if I hadn't of. On Tuesday I came onto a cow feeding away from me but she never turned sideways to me to give me a good shot. It trying to get closer she spotted me and ran away. That was all the chances I had with elk, but I enjoyed the experience of the trip the most. I got to spend a lot of time with my dad which reminded me how much alike we are. The jokes around the camp fire were in 'surround sound' now, that's what Lynn commented. On Thursday we realized food was looking short and Friday was when we were going to have to leave. At first I was a little bummed, but I really was getting anxious to see the kids and Trisha again. I dreamed about them a couple times up there and it made me miss them. There were a lot of great times up there, and I will never forget it. I hope to do this again as often as possible. I thank Trisha for being so strong and doing so great with the kids. It was an experience of a lifetime.

Overlooking the hunting grounds

A Sunday horse ride

Our shower, complete with soap holder!!

Snow

My trophy chipmunk

Some camp fun.

The horses and mules
5 comments:
Your dad cracks me up! I love the paint!
Haha! Those are fun pictures! Im glad you got to go! Dad said it was great and wants to do it again for sure!
Will is going to be jealous squared when I tell him about your trip! He is DYING to go hunting.
Oh, I'm so glad you got some pictures!! They are great. I love the camo! I don't know why you have a shower! Don't you spray yourself with elk urine anyway before going out? What a great memory to recall at family gatherings...and the elk will get bigger everytime!!
Dad loved spending time with you, Colby. This hunting trip will be added to the other good memories of being together and doing things you both enjoy. It was nice of Trisha to let you go. It is always a sacrifice, but well worth it. Guys seem to need that male bonding they get in the mountains. We loved the pictures! That squirrel picture reminds me of the chipmunk you shot at Loon Lake in Oregon. He might have been part of a stew if you'd stayed any longer! Enjoy your school year. We're proud of you (in a righteous way, ha ha). We love your family. Love, Mom & Dad
Post a Comment